Forward Pinellas is issuing this call to solicit letters of interest for funding from the Urban Design Services Pilot Program. Local governments are invited to submit a letter of interest for the program by providing the information requested on the referenced requirements. In 2021, the Forward Pinellas Board approved the Urban Design Services Pilot Program, consisting of $75,000 from Forward Pinellas, with a $25,000 contribution from the Pinellas County Department of Housing & Community Development. Forward Pinellas has selected S&ME to provide urban design expertise for this pilot program.
The program is the first of its kind in Pinellas County and aims to provide a suite of urban design services to interested communities in order to realize local goals and objectives. The pilot program aims to improve the architectural and design qualities of buildings, assist in the development of codes and standards that strengthen neighborhood character, and enhance the pedestrian environment and public realm while involving community members through the development process.
This program will be administered on a task work order basis, of which there are three:
- Task Work Order 1: Work with developers to provide urban design guidance to meet the intent of adopted regulations
- Task Work Order 2: Work with community/neighborhood groups and developers to host charrettes/studios to visualize change and develop a common understanding for potential redevelopment projects
- Task Work Order 3: Evaluate and/or advise on form-based regulations
A key objective of this program is to fund projects which will yield design recommendations that focus on developments at the parcel level, so that these recommendations can be adapted and transferred across other relevant parcels not only within the applicant community, but also countywide.
While a total of $100,000 is available for this pilot program, Forward Pinellas aims to utilize the funds for multiple projects of varying scales. Funding allocation will be determined based on the nature and scale of the application received. Forward Pinellas staff are available to provide technical assistance throughout the application period.
The application timeline is as follows:
- Submittals open: Monday, June 20, 2022
- Open period for pre-application meetings and technical support (encouraged): Monday, June 27, 2022 to Friday, July 15, 2022
- Letter of Interest Deadline: Friday, August 12, 2022
- Forward Pinellas staff review letters of interest: Monday, August 15, 2022 to Friday, August 26, 2022
- Forward Pinellas staff provide recommendations to recipients: Monday, August 29, 2022 to Friday, September 2, 2022
- Forward Pinellas Board to vote on staff recommendations for funding: Wednesday, September 14, 2022