With a million-dollar investment made possible by a partnership of local governments, FDOT, and Forward Pinellas, the Gateway Master Plan project is entering its final phases as it seeks to build on the strengths of the area that already serves as an economic engine for the county.
A website dedicated to the effort, gatewaymasterplan.org, is now live and includes an overview of the project, copies of presentations given to the public and the study management team, and information on how to get involved. A survey on the homepage allows additional input on the plan and its priorities.
Since this project launched in Spring 2018, our team, led by WRT Consulting, has been working to gather and analyze data to inform the master plan. Over the course of meetings with local governments, open houses with the public, an online survey and multiple small meetings and stakeholder interviews, a preliminary framework has been developed for the Gateway area. The Gateway Master Plan will identify opportunities for more efficient, economy-boosting land use patterns. These land uses will also provide housing options that put people closer to their destinations, reduce congestion, enable investments in transit, and provide safe bicycle and pedestrian connections.
Some of the key strategies that are being considered include:
- Additional transit options that can serve employees, residents, and visitors
- Repurposing underused properties that can attract advanced manufacturing and other high-wage employers
- Improving safety for those driving, walking or riding their bikes through the study area
- Providing the infrastructure to improve water quality and resiliency to future sea level rise and coastal inundation
- Identifying areas for more multifamily development
- Identifying opportunities for additional recreational and commercial amenities
Moving forward, the team will continue to engage the public and the local governments to develop final recommendations and will be making these available for review in June 2019. The final recommendations will guide decision makers as they shape development patterns and transportation projects in the future. To stay engaged, please visit the Gateway Master Plan website and contact us if you would like additional information.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”13″ gal_title=”Gateway Master Plan Workshops”]